Wednesday, Dec. 13, 2017
* Curious about that haze in the air? Well, the North Coast Unified Air Quality Management District says it is smoke from fires in Southern California. Winds have been moving the smoke from the Santa Barbara area north, although it is not expected to reach unhealthy levels.
* A workshop is slated for 10 a.m. today for the Curry County Commissioners, who will take a look at wildfire hazards, road fund loans, and communication towers. The meeting will be in the courthouse annex on Moore Street in Gold Beach.
* Students can now enroll at College of the Redwoods’ locations in Crescent City, Eureka and Hoopa for the spring 2018 session. Along with traditional classes, C-R also offers adult and community education classes such as medical assisting, English as a second language, and wildland fire training. Information is available at www.redwoods.edu/getstarted.
* Del Norte High will be the site for today’s blood drive by the Northern California Community Blood Bank from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
In sports news:
* Brookings-Harbor High’s varsity basketball teams split games on a non-conference road trip to Coquille. The Bruin girls won 47-37, while Coquille won the boys contest 58-39.