Friday, Sept. 14, 2018
* The Klondike Fire is up to 58 percent contained, although crews continue to face challenges against the blaze, which is now two months old. In the western zone of the fire, moderate fire activity continues, and because of drier high-level winds, fire activity has been more active on the highest ridge tops. Almost 80 engines, 41 water tenders, nine bulldozers, nine helicopters and 1,151 individuals are being used against the fire, which has burned 135,000-plus acres.
* The Del Norte Child Care Council will hold a car seat check-up event today from 1 to 3 p.m. at the Howonquet Head Start parking lot, 12821 Mouth of Smith River Road in Smith River.
* A major television star is helping a Brookings individual who needs kidney transplant. Gillian Anderson, the actress best known for her role in “The X Files”, added $16,000 to the “GoFundMe” site established for Michael Massey. With the donation, the 27-year-old Massey hit his goal of $30,000. The next step for Massey is finding a compatible donor kidney, followed by surgery.
In sports news:
* Del Norte High puts its undefeated record on the line tonight as Mazama High of Klamath Falls, Ore., comes to Crescent City for varsity football action. The Warriors are 4-0 so far this season, while the visiting Vikings are 1-0. The game will begin earlier this normal; the junior varsity game starts at 4:30 p.m., and the varsity at 7 o’clock. Listen to the game live on KPOD 97.9 FM, or delnortesports.com.
* Brookings-Harbor High looks to bounce back tonight, traveling to Rogue River for a 7 o’clock varsity battle. The Bruins are 1-1 so far this season, beating Gold Beach but losing to Del Norte last Friday.