Friday, Dec. 7, 2018
* Two Crescent City traditions — one old, one fairly new — is on tap tonight. The Live From Downtown First Friday event begins at 4 p.m. culminating in the Christmas Light Parade at 6:30 p.m., followed by the annual community tree lighting. Madrigal singers will perform, and Santa is scheduled to make an appearance.
* The Crescent City Jaycees present the 46th annual eighth grade girls basketball tournament today and Saturday at gyms throughout Del Note County. Forty-eight teams from around the region will take part, with the championship games slated for tomorrow evening.
* Lighthouse Repertory Theatre will present its “U-S-O Show” Saturday at the Veterans Memorial Hall on H Street in Crescent City. Drinks start at 5 p.m., with dinner at 6 o’clock, and entertainment from L-R-T’s past productions at 7 p.m. Live and silent auctions are also scheduled. Tickets are $35 for general admission, $30 for veterans. Money raised will support the Veterans of Foreign Wars and future L-R-T productions.
Shop With A Hero” is slated for Saturday, organized in part by the Crescent City Rotary Club in conjunction with Wal-Mart and local First Responder agencies. This year, 114 underprivileged young people ages 8 and 9 will be given a $40 gift card and matched with a local hero. The children will then be able to shop for members of their family who otherwise would not get gifts. Numerous emergency vehicles will be on hand as well for young people to explore. The event will run from 8 to 10 a.m. Santa is also expected to be in attendance.
* The first installment for 2018-19 Del Norte property taxes on the secured roll is due Monday. Late payments will lead to penalties. Taxpayers can make payments in person at the tax collector’s office at the Flynn Center on H Street in Crescent City. Those who have recently purchased property and have not received a tax bill need to contact the tax collector’s office at 464-7283.
In sports news:
* Del Norte High’s boys basketball team won its opening round game at the Cloverdale Tournament Thursday, defeating Anderson Valley … 71-7. (Yes, that is correct.) The 4-1 Warriors will play in the semifinals tonight at 7 o’clock against St. Helena. Listen to the action live on KPOD 97.9 or delnortesports.com.
* In girls basketball action, Del Norte lost for the first time this season Thursday, falling to unbeaten Montgomery High of Santa Rosa 43-38 at a tournament in Windsor. Del Norte plays against Rinkon Valley Christian today.