Monday, Oct. 21, 2019
* New police chief Richard Griffin will be sworn in at tonight’s 6 o’clock meeting of the Crescent City City Council. The council members are also expected to sign the paperwork for the Sunset Circle Multi-use Trail Project. The meeting will be in the Flynn Center on H Street.
* Two Brookings residents have been identified as the victims of a single-vehicle accident on U.S. Highway 199 last week. Roland Robertson, age 67, and Travis Lea, age 44, were found dead inside a small pickup 60 feet below the highway north of Patrick Creek Lodge. It is thought the accident happened several days before the vehicle was discovered.
* The trailhead for the Mill Creek horse trail will be closed today through Thursday for maintenance and improvements. However, equestrians and hikers may access the trail via the Rellin ridge Trail on Hamilton Road.
* The prevention of opioid use disorders will be the focus at today’s community outreach meeting starting at 1 p.m. The “Searching for Solutions/Opioids in Del Norte” event will be held at the Open Door Community Health Center meeting room. For more information, call 957-0561.
In sports news:
* Del Norte High took control of the Big Four Conference football standings Friday, knocking off St. Bernard’s 27-20 at Mike Whalen Field. The Warriors are 1-0 in conference, 7-1 overall. On Friday, Del Norte travels to Fortuna for a 7:30 p.m. battle with the Huskies.
* Brookings-Harbor saw its undefeated record blemished Friday, as St. Mary’s stopped the Bruins 14-3 in Medford. Next up for Brookings-Harbor, whose overall record is 6-1, is Friday at home against Cascade Christian starting at 7 o’clock.