Friday, Aug. 10, 2018
* The Pirates of the Pacific Festival begins at noon today and continues through 5 p.m. Sunday in the Port of Brookings-Harbor. Lots of different styles of music will be presented, as well as a wide range of other vendors. Events begin at 10 a.m. Saturday and Sunday.
* Redwood Parks Conservancy has been awarded $10,000 to support the Junior Lifeguard Program offered by the California Department of Parks and Recreation. The program develops safe water skills while focusing on teamwork and leadership. Funds were awarded by the Simpson Family Fund.
* An air advisory warning has been issued for Orleans in eastern Humboldt County, as well as in Weaverville, as fires continue to produce heavy smoke covering inland locations. The North Coast Unified Air Quality Management District rated the air in those two locations as “unhealthy.” No smoke issues are being reported in Del Norte County.
* The missing mother and her two children were found alive Thursday afternoon after a full-on search was conducted between Grants Pass and Oregon. Tandra Christiansen and the two girls, ages 6 and 7, were found in heavy brush two miles from their home, barefoot, thirsty and hungry. It was thought that Christiansen was possibly suffering from mental issues.
In sports news:
* The Humbold-Del Norte League Football Jamboree, which was planned for today at Mike Whalen Field, has been canceled. The Warriors will open their season a week from tonight when Ferndale comes to Crescent City for a 7:30 p.m. contest. Tune in Thursday at 6 p.m. for the Warrior Preseason Show on KPOD FM 97.9.